Tuesday 30 September 2014

They really are blue!


It was a two hour train journey from Sydney to Katoomba, but I could not spend a few days in Sydney and not go to the Blue Mountains. When I first set eyes on them many years previously, I had gasped. “Wow! They really are blue!” The view was breath-taking.


The hue results from the scent of thousands of Eucalyptus trees being reflected through sunlight. I could have stood at Echo Point, looking across at The Three Sister and the enormous valley, all day except I was cold. I remembered to bring my jumpers for the mountain air, but forgot my feet. I bought a pair of socks.

The cliff top path round to where the Skyrail departed wasn’t wheelchair accessible. It had steps. So I went the road way. As I scootered down the steep road, I was thinking “I do hope the map’s not lying to me. I’ll never make it back up this hill.”

It was ok and I scootered onto the nice new cable car for the short ride across the deep valley. Below was the gentle waterfall I remembered passing before, when I had walked through the forest from The Three Sisters to the base of the steepest railway in the world.

The Skyrail took me across to the top. It was also the top of a new cable car which would take me to the bottom and a wheelchair accessible walk. I was in heaven.

Wheeling through the depths of the forest was wonderful. Part of me was a wee bit sad that it was no longer the wilderness it had once been. But more of me was overwhelmed by the magic of what had been achieved. By building the wooden walkways and cable car, not only was it accessible for the less able, it would protect the forest.

That night I had dinner with Nicola, my new friend I’d made in Port Douglas. It was a lovely way to end my time in Australia. I had caught up with everyone I had wanted to see, made two new friends and staying in Youth Hostels had rekindled my love of independent travel. I was leaving with happy memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment