Tuesday 16 September 2014

The Great Barrier Reef


As I scootered my way to the marina to catch the boat for the 70km journey out to the outer edge of The Great Barrier Reef, a rainbow appeared. That’s promising. I checked in and was pleased to discover that I could take my scooter onto both the boat and the pontoon. That’ll conserve some energy for the snorkelling, I thought. 

On arrival at Agincourt Reef, I took a short trip on the semi-submersible boat to view the underwater world. The different shapes of the coral changed as we moved through them. Some looked like spaghetti, some like trees or fungi. There were shoals of fish swimming about. The Sergeant Major Fish were striking with the same number of stripes as on the uniform. I had hoped to see a turtle but they were somewhere else today.


I felt very looked after by the crew/ life guards when I went for a snorkel. They wanted me to wear a life-jacket in the water and also fitted me with a snorkel with a yellow end so they could see me easily. There was a hoist to get me in and, more importantly, out of the ocean. It was one of the reasons I had chosen that company to go with. There was a roped off area to snorkel safely within. I followed another rope out and was glad of it as the water became choppier. The problem was that I was too buoyant which gave me less control. My legs don’t swim so I’m arms only when I’m in water.  

I bobbed about marvelling at the reef. Then too many people held onto the rope at the same time and it sunk. I twisted in the water and struggled to right myself. It gave me a fright. I followed the rope back to the pontoon.


The sun came out for my ten minute helicopter flight. There was a strong wind on the small helicopter platform a short boat trip away. From the air the reef was even more amazing and beautiful. The clarity and variety of the blue colours of the water as it flowed off the island reefs into Deep Ocean, and the way the sun sparkled off them, defied description. It was the highlight of my day, if not my whole Australia adventure.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment