Tuesday 2 September 2014

Polar Bears in Melbourne?


I love the trains in Melbourne. Like the tram in Adelaide, if I sat at the front of the platform with my scooter, when the train came in, the driver could spot me and sort out a ramp. It was even better when I arrived at Flinders Street Station in central Melbourne. A small part of the platform had been raised to be level with the train door, so that I could just drive out. Why can’t UK railway stations do that?

I was in the city to meet up with another friend, Nola. We met in the Art Centre, with its amazing door with water running down the front of the window. Inside were a collection of Polar Bears sculptures. Each one was a different bright colour, made of what looked like feathers. The poses were life-like in size and image. You could almost imagine them as real polar bears walking and playing, captured in a snapshot. One looked like he was dancing and a small boy copied his pose.


Outside, in Federation Square there were lots of people milling about as if they were waiting for something. Several were boys in school uniform. And there were people with expensive cameras and officials. I spotted a woman with a badge that read “Australian Boys Choir”.

“What are the Australian Boys Choir doing in Federation Square today?” I asked her. “Well if you wait two minutes,” she said, “something will happen.”

Soon the crowd started to gather in a circle in the middle. Three of the boys had started to sing. Gradually, more and more joined them from the crowd. As they did so, the song increased in volume and power, reaching a crescendo of exquisite music.

Lindsey, Katherine, Helen and I went to St Kilda for coffee and cake. It’s what St Kilda is famous for. The shop window was filled with shelves and shelves of cake. Inside was more cake. How do you choose? They all look so nice.


Then a walk along the seafront market. It’s the sort of market that’s for browsing rather than buying. Even so, how could I resist buying earrings? Like I don’t already have enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment