Tuesday 23 September 2014

Sunset over Sydney Harbour


As I emerged from Circular Quay station, my first glimpse of Sydney Harbour Bridge was silhouetted by a pink sunset. Next to it was a huge cruise ship, pristine in the soft sunlight. What a welcome!


The Youth Hostel was built over what had been the largest archaeological dig in Australia, and much of it was still on show. You could make out buildings from the earliest European settlers in the 1790s. It struck me again how young the popular image of Australia is.  

I wandered around the city, revisiting some old haunts from my first visit to Sydney twenty-three years earlier. I had spent three months there and got to know it well. The Queen Victoria Building was as beautiful as I remember. Luxury shopping with balconies on each floor overlooking a central atrium. In the middle was a history clock. Each side had a panel depicting a time in history from aboriginal beginnings to Cook’s landing. 

In David Jones, the luxury department store of Australia, there was a lady playing a grand piano. I had forgotten. She had first been employed to play during the year of my first visit in 1990. What a fabulous job to have.


I wandered through the Botanical Gardens down to the harbour edge. I knew there was a step-free way to get there. Finding it, of course, was a case of trial an error. I had a lovely tour around the gardens. Eventually I made it to Mrs MacQuirie’s Point. Well the bottom of it anyway. I didn’t feel inclined to climb the steps. I could still see the view I wanted of the Opera House and the Bridge. 

The sun lowered to the top of the Bridge. I had wanted to watch it set completely but couldn’t. My way back was through the Botanical Gardens which closed before it got dark. I didn’t want to get stuck. 

The next day I met up with Kate, another friend I used to go to college with. We cruised the harbour on a ferry while catching up. You can’t come to Sydney and not take a trip on its greatest asset.

No comments:

Post a Comment