Tuesday 17 March 2015

Um...

More flash fiction. A story in 200 words...


I’m trussed up in a dark corner and forgotten. My arms are tightly bound together. At last, I get to see the light of day. I go outside. Fresh air! I’m unbound and can open up to my full potential. Just for a second, it is wonderful. Then a deluge of water hits me. It is relentless and cold. On and on it goes. Finally, I am taken back inside. I’m given a good shake. Drops of water fly off everywhere. Relief. I can dry out. Or maybe not. I’m bound again, still wet. But at least I’m not hidden.

I’m lifted and unbound. I’m outside again and can stretch, even if I am pounded with more cold water and a fierce wind too. I catch it. It tries to pull me away. I’m straining to escape. No such luck. But this time when I’m taken inside I’m allowed to stay unfettered. I’m not in a corner. I’m spread out in an empty bath in a room with a window. “This is meant to be unlucky”, I’m told, “but it’ll be all right”. Yes, it’s all right. It is definitely all right.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment