Tuesday 24 March 2015

Jump

Another 200 word story...


Why did I do that? If only I hadn’t. Then it wouldn’t have happened. Everything would be fine. Would those few minutes really have been such a bad thing? I was on a mission. I had to be at the meeting on time. I had to make an impression. I wanted time for a coffee first, to get myself prepared. My career depended on it. I needed to be calm, measured and in control.

She was beautiful. Her hair flowing in the breeze, immense concentration on her face. This is a girl who knows where she is going, I thought. She had her whole life ahead of her. She was at University. The basket on the front of her cycle was full of books. She had a stuffed rucksack on her back. The good girl was wearing a cycle helmet and a high vis sash across her chest. There was another taped across her backpack. But that’s not what caught my eye. It was her long, blond, flowing locks. But I saw her too late.

A split second can change your life. It could have been so different. If only I hadn’t jumped the lights.

No comments:

Post a Comment