Tuesday 19 August 2014

The tram to Glenelg


The next morning we took Adelaide’s only tram out to Glenelg with its beautiful beach. I’d fallen in love with the tram. All I needed to do was park my scooter at the front of the platform, and when the tram arrived, the driver could see me and get out to sort out the ramp. It was the same for the trains. No having to book it in advance. How fabulous was that? 

Our first stop in Glenelg was coffee. But it was still raining when we finished so we had lunch. A man in the next café was waving a menu at something above his head. I craned my neck around the various beams that were obstructing my view. He was trying to persuade a pigeon to move from sitting above his head. 

The owner of our café kept wiping over the tables. “It’s a never-ending job when pigeons are about”, I said to him. He laughed. “There are so many of them. It’s terrible. I keep trying to shoo them away.” He told how one of them had swooped down one day and taken food from a customer’s plate. “I was so embarrassed,” he said.


The sun came out after lunch and we went for a wander. I’d forgotten how beautiful the beach was, and how long. It was windy enough for the waves to have white tips which glinted in the sunlight. And being winter, a bit wet and the middle of the week, it was empty. That’s how I like my beaches. 

Buses within central Adelaide were free and one of them did a loop of the city. So we got on it. I was getting a bit peckish as the bus stopped next to a café. So we had lunch with a view of one of the parks on the edge of the city. Then we caught the next bus for the rest of the loop. You didn’t get a commentary of the sights but it didn’t matter. It was free.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment