Tuesday 5 August 2014

The Indian-Pacific Train across The Nullabor – Part 2


There was an off-train city tour of Kalgoorlie when we stopped there at 10.30pm. I’ve been to Kalgoorlie before but was intrigued as to what they could show you in the dark. Bruce organised for a man with a wheelchair to meet me at the door of my carriage to take me to the coach and back again on our return. It was a long train and a long walk down the platform.

The tour was eerie. Kalgoorlie was deserted. Our three coaches were the only sign of life. No traffic and no people. Street lights lighting wide and empty streets. Everything shut up for the night. Even the pubs had no signs of life.


The next morning I woke to sunrise on the big expanse of nothing that is the Nullabor. That stretches from just outside Rawlinna sheep station, where I woke up, to Oldea, another 9½ hours away. There ends also the world’s longest straight stretch of track, having started 478km earlier at Nurina, an hour past Rawlinna.

Nullabor is a Latin word meaning no trees and there are none. It’s dust and bush. It was wide and flat and beautiful as far as the eye could see, whichever way you looked. It was also greener than I remembered and there were puddles. And there were puddles in Cook, halfway across. I’ve never seen puddles in Cook.

We arrived at Cook at lunchtime. There is no platform at Cook and it used to be a ladder down to the ground. But now, if you lift a flap in the floor of the doorway, there are steps down to the ground. I could get off the train and walk around a bit for some air after all. Following the replacement of wooden sleepers with concrete, maintenance has reduced, and there are now only two permanent residents left in Cook. I asked one of them if she got lonely. She replied “No. I love it. I love the peace and quiet.”

No comments:

Post a Comment