Thursday 1 December 2016

I Love Lego


Last Friday, I decided that as I was in London, I should check out the new Lego Store. My sister and I were always building things with it as children, often competing to use every brick we had. My favourite creation was a moped I built for my Sindy doll.

On my way there I passed Somerset House and popped in to watch the skaters. They whizzed round, some with confidence. Others had the wobbles. Skating is something that MS has deprived me of. But I still enjoy watching people, even if I do get cold.


Then I went through Covent Garden. I caught the last song of a tenor busking in the downstairs cafe. His voice was at least as powerful as many professional tenors and I was sorry to have missed the rest of his performance. 


When I got to Leicester Square, I was pleased to discover that the Lego Store wasn’t as crowded as I had expected. There was a queue to enter, with security to regulate how many people were inside at any one time. But even that wasn’t too long.



The queue followed the window with the model tube train carriage in it. Looking out at us was a Lego Queen Elizabeth II. Entrance was through an Underground station entrance with an Underground symbol and old street lights. Inside there was another short queue to have your photo taken in the train. So of course, I did.



To the side was a Lego Underground Map and a train guard.


When I turned round I saw Big Ben in the window on the other side of the entrance. It sparkled as much as the real one and told the time accurately. Its height took it through to the floor upstairs, and it was from here that you could see all the detail of the clock face and the roof.



Weaving its was in and out of the ceiling was the Loch Ness Monster with sinister eyes, a top hat and, in its jaws, a black umbrella.


The lift was decorated to look like you were entering a tube train, and inside was a picture of a Lego man telling you to “Keep calm and play well”



As I wandered about upstairs, I heard a phone ringing. It was the Red Lego Telephone Box.


No comments:

Post a Comment