Tuesday 21 April 2015

The merry-go-round continues

The next assessment was my eyes at Whipps Cross Hospital, not the easiest of places to get to at the best of times. Going by car would be the easiest, but because they put drops in my eyes to dilate them, I’m not allowed to drive. Travelling by public transport is further complicated because I need to take my mobility scooter and so need step-free access. It’s taken three visits but finally I have worked out the best way. One train to Stratford then one bus to the hospital. Except there were problems on the line that day and I couldn’t go that route.

That was ok. There are two railway lines into London from Southend. I’ll get the other one to West Ham and the Jubilee Line or DLR to Stratford, I thought. Err…no. There was no lift at West Ham for the moment. Well there was a third option? I took the train to Limehouse and picked up the DLR from there going, via Poplar, to Stratford. It turned out to be quite straightforward, but my simple journey of one train and one bus had become three trains and a bus, and felt like it took forever.

I arrived five minutes before my appointment. No time for a cup of coffee then.
There was a brief vision test with my glasses on then in went the drops. They stung a little and it was hard to resist rubbing them. But they soon settled and after a few minutes they had dilated my eyes enough for the scan. Look at the green light and don’t blink. Why is that the first think you want to do when someone says don’t? Scan done and looked at by the doctor and I was all finished.

Fortunately for me, my eyes have not been affected by MS and the only problem I have I related to age. I’ve got to that age when my sight is lengthening. I don’t yet read at arms’ length, but it’s coming. Otherwise my eyes are as healthy as they can be. Something to celebrate I think.

There was a short wait for the bus and I was back at Stratford in no time. I was desperate for a cup of coffee and some lunch. Oh look. There’s Westfield. There’ll be lots of places to eat in there and I can do some shopping at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment