Tuesday 24 February 2015

Prinsengracht 263 – Part 4 The legacy



Throughout her diary, Anne had a conviction that when war was over, she would publish it and tell the world about life in an occupied Amsterdam. Beneath her words there was hope. But there is tragedy in her story, because she didn’t live to see that happen. She died from typhoid in Bergen-Belson in March 1945, just a few weeks before the camp was liberated by the British.

After reading them and learning her ambition, Otto Frank made the decision to take on his daughter’s mission and publish her diary. Later, The Anne Frank House Museum came to be born. The tour ended with an interactive display about prejudice and hatred in the world today. But I didn’t want to hear any more. It was too much. I needed to escape. I sat with a long, slow coffee in the café as I contemplated what I had experienced. I was angry with the girl in the queue. She had no concept of the significance of the empty room through a small hole. And she should! It’s important! I took another sip of coffee. Outside, on the canal edge, I sat for longer still, looking at the door to number 263. It was an ordinary-looking door, not at all conspicuous. But I suppose that was the point. Everything needed to be normal. The factory needed to run as it had always run with people coming and going as they went about their day-to-day lives.

Arriving at the airport check-in desk on my way home, I was confronted with having to part from my scooter so that it could be loaded onto the plane, while I waited for Wheelchair Assistance. I was plunged into the mechanics of the airport and found myself at the mercy of forces outside of my control. It frightened me. I wondered why? The forces that Anne had been at the mercy of were far more sinister. And yet she had retained her spirit and strength of character. It lives on through the museum and its work to promote tolerance and respect, both in The Netherlands and with partner organisations across the world. I had been physically and emotionally drained by my visit, but I had been humbled and inspired with passion. The world must not forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment